It has been a while since I cooked up anything outside the norm for my family. Today I made spinach calzones. I have had a few people ask me for my recipe already so I figured I might as well sit down and try to write it up because I WILL be making them again.
As with most food experiments these days I get my inspiration on pinterest. The Easy Pizza Dough I used for my calzones was exactly by the recipe on the linked page. You could also use the store bought pizza dough found in the refrigerator section of the grocery store. The filling is not as easy as a quick link. I pulled inspiration from many different recipes, including my Spinach Mushroom Breakfast Quiche.
1 tbsp. Butter
12 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
24 oz. frozen spinach
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. onion powder
1 egg, scrambled
16 oz. cottage cheese, drained
1/4 cup shredded parmesan
2 cups mozarella, divided
1. On the stove in a large skillet, melt 1 tbsp. of butter. Add the mushrooms, and saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute. Add the frozen spinach, salt, pepper, and onion powder and cook on medium-high heat , stirring occasionally, until all excess moisture has evaporated.
2. In a bowl scramble the egg, add the cottage cheese, parmesan cheese, and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
3. Prepare your pizza crusts. This recipe will need all 4 crusts made with the recipe linked above.
4. When the spinach mixture is done, mix it in with the cheese mixture.
5 . Build your calzones! Put a small amount of mozarella cheese down on one side of the pizza crust (be sure to keep the edges clear of food so you can seal it up), spoon 1/4 of the spinach/cheese mixture on top, top with more mozarella cheese. Fold over and firmly seal the edges with your fingers, or a fork.
6. Brush the top with olive oil and cook at 425°F for 18 minutes or until the top is browned.
7. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes, slice & serve. Optional: Before slicing, brush with garlic butter, and sprinkle with parmesan cheese (ingredients not included in above list).